Hello guys. I am back with a post to help you guys preparing for your PMT.
In this article, I will give you seven tips to ace organic chemistry for your NEET/JEE exams.
I am writing this blog post upon request of Almas Ansari. I thought it was good to put down all the points and stuff I used to learn organic chemistry.
Tips to Ace Organic Chemistry:
Organic chemistry seems to have a lot of facts, especially in the case of reactions and stuff, but these are backed up by concepts. For example, there is a conceptual reaction mechanism behind every apparently factual reaction. So one can genuinely appreciate organic chemistry and master it if one succeeds in digging deep into it and understand the reaction mechanism or the concepts behind them. So here comes my tip number 1
Photo by RF._.studio on Pexels.com
- TIP #1: Understand the reaction mechanism rather than simply mugging up the reactions. Don’t try to remember the reactions but try to understand the concept behind it and analyze the products formed, and in due course of time, you could predict the products of most of the reactions.
- TIP #2: It is challenging to learn reaction mechanisms for all the reactions at the PMT level of preparation. So what I did was I kept a different notebook and noted down all those reactions which I was not able to remember. I used to revise this notebook twice a week or so. This really helped me to memorize some reactions.
- TIP #3:I also practiced sequence type of reactions as I observed that these types of questions frequently appear in many exams. There are some books with dedicated sequence-type questions. I practiced those given by my teachers. Some of my friends also used Pradeep organic chemistry book for these types of questions and found it helpful.
- TIP #4: I also used a website called masterorganicchemistry.org. Many students have doubts about solvents and stuff. I was one of them. I learned them from these websites. This website also has paid cheat sheets. I didn’t purchase them. I only read the blog posts (which are free) on the website’s official blog. I am putting down few links from the website here. Read them after you complete reading this post. There are many more posts on the blog, and you can read them.
- TIP #5: I also preferred to practice more in the case of organic chemistry because I felt that by repeated practice, I could exactly pinpoint which reaction or which part of the lesson I was forgetting, and then I learned it seriously and also noted it down in the book which I have mentioned earlier.
- TIP #6: Discuss it with your friends. This method helped me especially remember various tests in organic chemistry. One person asks questions, and then the remaining students try to answer the question as soon as possible. We take turns. Sometimes we even played this for points.
- TIP #7: Last but not least, enjoy reading organic chemistry. Don’t feel this as a burden. Appreciate the details in it. It is another beautiful part of science.
More articles on https://sciencetidings.com
All the best! Happy reading!